Most Active Stories
KSUT is an award-winning public radio station offering two distinct radio broadcasts: Four Corners Public Radio and Southern Ute Tribal Radio. The KSUT team is made up of diverse, creative and dedicated people who are deeply committed to the mission of KSUT.
KSUT offers competitive salaries and generous benefits including health, dental and vision care, life & short term disability insurance, 401k retirement, and more. KSUT operates within the exterior boundaries of the Southern Ute Indian Tribe and adheres to the Tribal Employment Rights Ordinance (TERO) which gives preference to qualified Native Americans in all aspects of employment, contracting and other business activities. KSUT encourages diversity in the workplace.
Current Employment Opportunities:
Program Director & Operations/Four Corners Public Radio (closes November, 3 2014)
The Programming Director for Four Corners Public Radio is responsible for overseeing and managing all programming and operations related activities for the radio station including traffic, automation and broadcast facilities, as well as on-air hosting and fundraising.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop and update Operations Manual as necessary
• Perform regular sound and air checks with on-air staff
• Manage Independent Contractors and locally produced specialty music shows
• Monitor and maintain automation system (NexGen)
• Manage programming traffic
• Maintain traffic “logs” in Allegiance
• Manage and schedule holiday and NPR specialty programming
• Manage voice tracks for overnight and weekend programming
• Analyze, develop and manage digital/website content
• Support KSUT fund raising efforts through production and on-air pitching as needed
• Monitor KSUT’s FM radio broadcasts and streaming signals
• Host 2-4 blend shifts per week
• Provide tech support for live in-studio concerts and events
• Maintain broadcast equipment
• Other duties as assigned
• Minimum 3 years broadcast experience
• Experience with radio automation systems, preferably NexGen
• Strong voice, clear diction, confident on-air skills
• Knowledge of FCC regulations
• Basic digital audio editing skills
• Intermediate to advanced computer and social media skills
Hands on experience with radio station control boards and equipment and a strong knowledge of
computers and social media.
Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and manage multiple tasks and projects
in order to meet the demands of the department. Needs to exhibit confidence in judgment and decision
making. Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public,
coworkers, managers and Tribal staff and officials. Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality when
necessary, including the ability to recognize situations in which confidentiality is required. Must have
the ability to interpret and communicate policies, codes and regulations.
Work will require use of computers, radio station consoles and technical equipment with periods of
standing, sitting, kneeling, walking and bending. Dress and hygiene should be appropriate to a work
setting. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Work performed is in an office and studio environment with extensive time sitting at a desk or in front
of a broadcast console. Some off site work is required to help with special events representing the
station. The noise level in the work environment is moderate
This is an exempt, salaried position. Wages will be negotiated depending on experience. Hours will be
40 per week, although some weeks will require more than 40 hours depending on events.
HOW TO APPLY
Preference given to qualified Southern Ute Tribal Members and other Native American applicants, however all applicants welcome. Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by the close of business, November 03, 2014, or mail to: KSUT Public Radio, P.O. Box 737, Ignacio, CO 81137 -- ATTN: Program Director Search
Executive Director- CLOSED October 15, 2014, 5pm MST
KSUT Public Radio
KSUT Public Radio seeks an energetic and highly motivated Executive Director who possesses strong leadership, management and fundraising skills to lead this public media non-profit located in SW Colorado.
KSUT Public Radio is an FCC licensed public media organization serving the Four Corners region of the United States with two public radio signals: Southern Ute Tribal Radio and Four Corners Public Radio. KSUT’s FM transmission system consists of 6 transmitters and 4 translators reaching over 250,000 listeners. KSUT also maintains a web presence and streams both stations through KSUT’s website, iTunes Radio and other streaming apps.
KEY JOB DUTIES:
- Reports to the KSUT Board of Directors and works with the board to establish and implement KSUT’s strategic direction and goals.
- Maintain relationship with the Southern Ute tribal government and all tribal departments that directly impact KSUT.
- Responsible for developing and managing the station’s operating budget and financials and growing the station’s revenue stream through fundraising, membership drives, underwriting, grant writing, and other revenue streams.
- Manages all day-to-day station operations.
- Manages, directly or through subordinates, a staff of 10 full- and part-time employees. This includes recruitment, training, evaluating performance and enacting professional discipline as needed.
- Ensures the creation and oversight of programs and services that promote the station and positively engage the listening community. Oversees public relations activities. Fosters long-term relationships with various constituencies including members of the community, media and partner organizations.
- Works with KSUT staff regarding the technical and legal operation of the station, ensuring compliance with all applicable FCC regulations and other federal, state, and local laws.
- A minimum of five years of executive management experience, preferably in broadcast media or a related field. Previous experience working in a nonprofit environment and working with a board of directors is highly desirable.
- Bachelor degree in public administration, business administration or a related field.
- Strong financial management skills.
- Proven success in development, fundraising and capital campaigns.
- Strong leadership skills, with the ability to articulate a vision and inspire others to achieve it. A minimum of five years’ experience managing employees. Previous experience managing volunteers is also desired.
- Strong interpersonal and community relations skills, with the ability to build strong working relationships and interact professionally at all levels, including with KSUT Board, staff, volunteers, underwriters, members, outside suppliers, listeners, and the community at large.
- Advanced communication skills (written, verbal, and presentation). A high level of confidence, integrity, and critical and creative thinking, both at the strategic and operational levels.
- Previous involvement with and support for public broadcasting.
- Knowledge of and experience with social media.
- Previous broadcasting and on-air experience.
- Previous experience working in diverse environments.
A full job description can be found in the PDF below. Preference given to qualified Southern Ute Tribal Members and other Native American applicants, however all applicants welcome. Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by the close of business, October 15, 2014, or mail to: KSUT Public Radio, P.O. Box 737, Ignacio, CO 81137 -- ATTN: Executive Director Search